Username: Password: Remember me
... such as New Year's wishes.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scum in Katwijk

Scum in Katwijk 10 Jun 2011 11:57 #180

• Rene
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Nice to see other ''Scummers'' in the house :)
From 1985 till 1989 i went there a lot ; i also lived 1/2 hour drive from Katwijk, but
many times we came by bike (bicycle that is, hahahaa) and than it took almost an hour
to get there.
Most memorable gigs were Agent Steel at Queensday 1986 with support act Handy Kept ; a
fun-punk band like S.O.D. ; it was the first time we entered a mosh pit. :woohoo:
Also Kreator and Voivod made a big impression ... after those gigs the sweat dripped
from the walls.
Those days we also visited ''de Tent'' in Wassenaar sometimes ; a small venue where
mostly Dutch thrash acts performed (Inferno/Silenxce - Mysto Dysto/Mandator - Donor - Lunacy)
They used strobe-light there , which had an awesome effect being in the pit !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scum in Katwijk 10 Jun 2011 17:20 #181

• Bridge1961
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Wow, Rene, I also saw all that gigs.
Other memorabel gigs in Scum : Slayer, Manowar and Laaz Rockit, they were extremely popular in Scum.
Also went a couple of times to Tent, as we knew some guys of Inferno.
Sometimes I really long for these great times...........

Scum in Katwijk 10 Jun 2011 18:32 #182

• Rene
  • Fresh Boarder
yeah ... those were really some days ; time goes by so fast sometimes :huh:
The Manowar gig i can also remember very well ... spring 86 was a period with loads of gigs.
1 april : Exciter - Manowar and Motorhead in Kaatsheuvel
2 april : Manowar in Scum
4 april : Exciter in Arena Rotterdam
30 april : the Queensday festival in Scum
19 may : OverKill & Anthrax in Limelight Ridderkerk
22 may : OverKill & Anthrax in Floridahal Boskoop

The vhs/dvd US Speed Metal Attack (shot in Bochum-Germany) is a perfect reflection
of that period ... when i watch some clips of it , it sometimes makes me sad ... where has the time gone ?

Before this period we only went a couple of times a year to concerts, but this was kinda a kickoff
of more frequently gig going.
In 87/88 it became allmost a weekly thing, due to some of our gang who had gotten their
drivers licencse, so we could go further places.
It`s a small miracle my ears are still attached to my head :pinch:
Later on i also got interested in ska - reggae and house, but metal never leaves the bloodstream
although i seldom visit any musical happening anymore.
The last things i went gave me more of a feeling from : pfff what a noise .. i`m wrecking my hearing here :S
I guess i`m getting an old fart hahahaaa !
But i wouldn`t want have missed it for the world !
Cool you know some of the guys from Inferno ; one of my alltime favorite demotapes was Infernal Ending Silenxce Eternally ... still listen a lot to their music.
For a short time i sang in a band and played a couple of times in our hangout ''de Sater'' in Leidschendam, where we opened for Silenxce and Mandator ... especially Mandator`s bassplayer was a friendly guy.
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2011 18:34 by Rene.

Re: Scum in Katwijk 10 Jun 2011 21:51 #183

• Jan
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 5
Wow! Didn't you guys ever meet? Bounce into each other moshing? :ohmy:

I read a great article about Mandator in Rock Tribune 104 recently. There are several similarities between Mandator and Bodine, by the way--most former members of these bands chose a life away from the stage lights. In the article Hette Bonnema, the bass guitarist was interviewed. I am dreaming about a similar article about Bodine in such a magazine...
When you listen to stuff like this

you can't imagine Mandator quit enirely...
Never argue with a fool. People may not know the difference
Last Edit: 10 Jun 2011 22:06 by Jan.

Re: Scum in Katwijk 10 Jun 2011 22:10 #184

• Bridge1961
  • Junior Boarder
Yeah, Jan, it almost gotta be that I bumped into Rene ever, all the concerts he wrote down I attended too !
The most memorable of the list of Rene maybe was the one of Anthrax in Boskoop, unbelievable, a really big hall, maybe only 300 people and at the end of the show of Anthrax maybe half of them on stage. Everybody there went completely nuts.

Mandator was named at first Mysto Dysto, on YouTube you can find enough of them. Awesome band, pity they didn't really make it.

The most crazy Dutch band was Jewel, with Rick Ambrose as the crazy singer and Henky Bakker, the awesome guitarist.
I went to a concert in Eindhoven, Karregat, with Exodus as headliner and Jewel as 1 of the supportsacts, definitely 1 of the most intensive and craziest concerts I ever saw, pity there are no vids of this day.
Bit of a pity also I didn't live and still don't in the neighbourhood of the Dynamo, that was the place to be in the '80's (and 1 of the places to be still)
When I read all this, I get enthusiastic immediately and would really love it to enjoy a metalnight in a small club...........but to compensate I 'going to listen to Rock machine on big volume.......

Re: Scum in Katwijk 11 Jun 2011 08:48 #185

• Jan
  • Administrator
Jewel! Classic Thrash! La Morta! I still have their debut EP on Classic Trash Records! An absolute milestone! With crazy animal Frankie Woodhouse on the drums! I saw them live in Odijk. At the end they were throwing goodies into the hall. I stuck up my hand and one of their buttons flew right into it. Afterwards, I was allowed backstage because a friend of mine knew Frankie Woodhouse. That was the first time in my life I came backstage, so it made great impression. Frankie was a great guy. I wonder what ever happened to him.
Check this out:

Last Edit: 05 Sep 2012 12:16 by Jan.

Re: Scum in Katwijk 11 Jun 2011 10:27 #186

• Bridge1961
  • Junior Boarder
Now that we are talking about Dutch bands, I saw a couple of times Hammerhawk, a Motorhead-lookalike. Their drummer performed in a cage/cell, weird......... They had song that had the following piece of text : "Me and my blowup doll, fuck her in the rubber hole" and we had sung this, he picked up a blowup doll, took out his dick and then............. real crazy Dutch band.....

Re: Scum in Katwijk 30 Jun 2011 18:09 #187

• Rene
  • Fresh Boarder
It was kinda busy last weeks, but reading these posts now gives me a big smile :laugh:
Too bad i never seen Hammerhawk (name sounds familiar though) and their crazy act !
Jewel i did see one time in ''Paard'' (van Troje) in the Hague ... when i saw those guys it was
sort of hard to imagine they were Dutchies ; especially Rick Ambrose ... what a frontman.
Talking about Dutch bands and their stage-acts the name Dark Wizard spontaniously pops up ...
check : www.hollandheavymetal.nl/
This band was wicked and their demotape ''only a coffin'' was played to shreds after i survived
their horrorwave when they hit our otherwise so peaceful little hometown in L`dam hahahahaa !
One more pops up ... after seeing Onslaught in Scum one night we returned home and went for
a last beer to the Sater, where to our surprise Angus was playing the last songs of their gig there.
Their music wasn`t really our thing, but boy ; those guys (mostly the singer) was something else !!

p.s. yeah Bridge, looks like it`s almost impossible that we never ran into each other given the
gigs we`ve both seen.
I also regret the fact i lived so far from the Dynamo ... really the hotspot in metal those days ! :cheer:

Re: Scum in Katwijk/Dark Wizard 18 Apr 2013 08:20 #4240

• Jan
  • Administrator
Update: Holland Heavy metal no longer exists. Its content is taken over by true metal fan. The article about Dark Wizard is here!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.499 seconds